Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 Resolutions Recap

So, here's the annual recap of how I did on the year's resolutions. All disclaimers aside, I had a Really Big Year in 2009, so I think that accomplishing anything on my list is pretty good.

Anyway, here's the resolutions themselves, and how I think I did:
1. Establish a workout plan that is interesting and consistently maintainable. Currently, my workouts are a little haphazard. That's kind of always been the case. Training for the half-marathon helped, and I'd like to diversify my workouts a little bit. I'm interested in starting Spinning classes again, and taking more Pilates. I'm not crazy about my body right now, and I definitely think I would be happier if I were stronger and worked out more consistently.
Yeah, I didn't do this. Again. I started to get on track, and then I'd get sick, or school would get crazy, and I'd be back to square one. I'm currently sitting at square one, having gotten two illnesses this fall that totally screwed up my workout schedule. Oh well. I'm not actually going to beat myself up about this too much, since I can't do anything about it now, except try again next year.

2. Get massages more often.
Success! I actually did this, in no small part to the fact that our good friend Deboner is a massage therapist in her spare time and gives cheap massages to her hasher friends. Awesome!

3. Put money in my savings account and leave it there. I have a tendency to have great financial goals and absolutely no follow-through. Argh.
Argh indeed--this year was absolutely no different from a follow-through perspective. In my defense, I did have a host of unexpected things I needed to shell out money for, like wedding expenses, etc. That said, I sold my car and wiped out a bunch of debt this year, so I'm thinking next year might actually be the year for this. We'll see.

4. Overhaul the wardrobe with new pieces that work both with the old ones and with new, more professional looks. This one's pretty self-explanatory, but I feel like I haven't been making very strong purchases except for a few in the last few months, and a good chunk of my clothes are starting to wear out. Argh.
Actually, I really think that this happened. I don't have a ton of new clothes, but I have been pretty careful about choosing pieces to add to my wardrobe this year, and the ones I've added have been awesome. I got a terrific new dress in Amsterdam, Indie Rocker bought me excellent Frye boots as a grad present, and the sweaters I got for Christmas fit right in. All in all, I'm giving myself a gold star for this one.

So I got about half done. I think I can feel pretty good about that, considering the rest of the year. Now I guess I need to come up with something for next year--Ulp!

Quote of the Day: "Why a fox? Why not a horse, or a beetle, or a bald eagle? I'm saying this more as, like, existentialism, you know? Who am I? And how can a fox ever be happy without, you'll forgive the expression, a chicken in its teeth?" Mr. Fox (George Clooney), The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

No comments: