Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Not shocking, but annoying just the same.

I went to the doctor yesterday to deal with the tiredness issue I mentioned a few weeks back, and she said a few things that, while totally appropriate, were kind of hard to hear.

First, she said that I was doing too much and that I pretty much wasn't going to get any less tired until I am done with school. Fortunately, that's sooner rather than later, but I guess I was hoping that I could just handle it. Apparently not.

Second, she said that while there is nothing physically wrong with me, I do need to find some hobby, like Pilates or yoga or whatever, that allows my mind to turn itself off from time to time.

While the doctor didn't say this herself, I came to the conclusion on my own today that I don't really know how to relax. I mean, some people go for runs, some people do yoga, others can just take a hot bath. I just don't know how. The only time in the past two years that I have been really, truly relaxed was in Mexico for our honeymoon. And even then, Indie Rocker had to practically twist my arm, frogmarch me out to the beach, put me into a chaise longue and hand me a trashy novel. I got the hang of it by the end of the trip, but you can see my point--relaxation is not something that comes naturally to me.

And that's straight-up unhealthy. I have got to work on that. Suggestions?

Quote of the Day: "It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: what are we busy about?" Henry David Thoreau.

No comments: