Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Better, actually.

So I had a lovely evening of actual relaxation last night. I finished the laundry, took the Munchkin for a walk, baked some banana bread, and played at least an hour of solitaire on my computer. I also booked a flight to Geneva for Chick Ski 2010, which absolutely elated me, so that definitely didn't suck.

It sounds like a lot, but if you break it down, it was actually really nice. Indie Rocker was off mountain biking with friends, so it was really relaxing to have the house to myself and not have to do anything. I cooked a really simple dinner just for me, and didn't even turn on the TV.

I might be getting it.

Indie Rocker did the Creampuff on Sunday for the third time. He didn't finish, which was frustrating for him, but it was a brutal course and he wasn't really ready anyway. We talked about it, and established some goals for the next time he attempts this. I told him that I am tired of the seesaw of "Is he going to finish or not?" I want to know going into it that he is going to finish and that he's going to finish in a reasonable time frame. Initially, I set 12 hours as the max, but he told me that was unrealistic and that he wasn't going to be that fast. I relented, and now 13.5 hours is the goal. He agreed that was doable, and promised to work on his speed over the next year.

He finally understands that I want to support him, and that I'm proud of him for doing this, but that I also need him to respect the time and energy that I'm putting into this race. He offered to take next year off and set a goal of 5 hours for completing the Test of Endurance 50 miler next year. I told him we could still go volunteer for the Creampuff, and I'd be right there with him.

Either way, we are starting to hit a middle ground that I think we're both pretty comfortable and happy with. He mentioned that Bono was going to start racing cyclocross in the fall, which means that we're going to have a ton of friends out there. It's going to be a blast, which makes me want to start doing more riding so that I can keep up.

The next seven months plus are going to rule. I'm so happy.

Quote of the Day: "I wanted to be a hero. I wanted to be the center of attention. I wanted the glory, I wanted the fame.I wanted the pretty girls to come up and say, 'Hi, I see that you're good at Centipede.'" Walter Day, The King of Kong.

No comments: