Saturday, December 27, 2008

2009 Resolutions

After reflecting on 2008's resolutions and discovering that I clearly had some success with those, I'm a little more inspired to come up with realistic goals for 2009.

From Day 1, 2009 is going to be a Really Big Year for me. I'm getting married, turning 30, and graduating from grad school in a period of 12 months. That's a lot of Big Stuff to pack into one little year. So in a lot of ways, I really need to temper my expectations of what else I can be reasonably expected to accomplish.

That said, I think that now is definitely the time to set the bar just a little higher for myself. I've gotten myself to a place where I'm much more comfortable in my own skin, I'm a happier person, I'm a stronger person, and I'm ready to take on some greater challenges in the years ahead. I know that I want a new job in my field, and I'm willing to take on the work and initiative that will require. It's not going to be easy, and I know that too. I also want to help Indie Rocker with starting work on the house. It's a project that's been really easy to back-burner while we had tons of other things going on, but it would be really nice to come home to a better home. These are all goals that are going to span several months, and are very likely to bleed into 2010. That's OK. I've got to start aiming big at some point.

That said, here are my realistic resolutions for 2009:

1. Establish a workout plan that is interesting and consistently maintainable. Currently, my workouts are a little haphazard. That's kind of always been the case. Training for the half-marathon helped, and I'd like to diversify my workouts a little bit. I'm interested in starting Spinning classes again, and taking more Pilates. I'm not crazy about my body right now, and I definitely think I would be happier if I were stronger and worked out more consistently.

2. Get massages more often.

3. Put money in my savings account and leave it there. I have a tendency to have great financial goals and absolutely no follow-through. Argh.

4. Overhaul the wardrobe with new pieces that work both with the old ones and with new, more professional looks. This one's pretty self-explanatory, but I feel like I haven't been making very strong purchases except for a few in the last few months, and a good chunk of my clothes are starting to wear out. Argh.

I considered putting in another financial resolution, but at this point, I think I should keep it simple. If I can accomplish all four of these goals while hitting the high points of the year, I should be good. And at the very least, I'll be better than I was, which is never a bad thing.

Quote of the Day: "Well, congratu-fuckin'-lations, your dream has come true!" Kumar (Kal Penn), Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

1 comment:

Croz said...

2.
Get an ING account and have it transfer money every month. Even if it is 25 bucks. I put in 100 and it adds up big time. Also since it is harder to get your money out (I mean since you cant pull it from an ATM and you have to wait a few days for it to be transfered, you have less of an urge to spend that money!) :)

Happy new year
Croz