Wednesday, April 06, 2005

"Us helpless little girls."

Strong Draught, Indie Rocker and I went to see “Sin City” last night and it was amazing. It’s pretty gory, but in a comic book sort of way, so it’s more dramatic and less graphic, if that makes any sense.

It’s a brilliantly conceived movie that was really interesting to watch. The fact that it was filmed almost entirely in black and white, but with color added for effect was striking. It reminded me a lot of “The Crow,” but then again, almost all comic book movies do. “Sin City” was interesting on a number of levels. Being the film geek that I am, I realized that everyone and their mother is in this movie. It’s very bizarre to watch a film where you bounce from Bruce Willis to Rory from “Gilmore Girls” to Mickey Rourke to Devon Aoki. Random. Even better was when I’m staring at someone and wondering who exactly they are. Imdb.com is my friend!

I nearly had nightmares from Elijah Wood’s Kevin and Nick Stahl’s Junior/Yellow Bastard. They were both just so evil and twisted that it really affected me. I have weird fears of things anyway, but those two performances really stuck with me for the sheer horror of them and the fact that they were so out of character. Well, for Elijah Wood anyway. I don’t watch “Carnivale,” so I can’t say one way or the other what Nick Stahl’s acting is like in other roles. Either way, both the colors and the effects were astounding and terrifying.

The women in the movie were fascinating because it seemed like they were revered and hated, but never really disrespected. I’m not sure that makes sense, but that’s how it felt. In one section, the entire point is the avenging of the murder of a prostitute. Another is the rescue of a 12-year-old girl, who grows up into an exotic dancer and has to be rescued again. Another one is the story of Old Town, where the women (who are all dressed in what can delicately be called lingerie by way of Spartacus) are the law and order. The prostitutes police their own turf and the cops let them be. However, even then there’s a male savior, albeit heavily aided by an army of very tough women. It’s kind of fascinating, really. I liked all the female characters, because it seemed that even if they needed some rescuing, they still managed to have a tough streak that came through. I suppose the fact that most of them spent the movie mostly in undress appears to be somewhat misogynistic, but somehow it seemed empowering, in a completely weird way.

Either way, I liked it enough that I'm probably going to go see it again just to try and catch everything I missed the first time. And I'm probably going to go watch "The Crow" again. Like I needed an excuse!

Quote of the Day: "Oh sugar, you just gone and done the dumbest thing in your whole life." Becky (Alexis Bledel), Sin City.

No comments: