Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Bleeding Blue and White

Once again, I am shocked to discover that I was raised to be weird. I feel like this happens to me on a pretty regular basis, so I should be used to it by now.

Either way, I managed to spend the vast majority of the weekend watching basketball, which made me very happy. Quick disclaimer: ordinarily, I can’t think of anything more boring than watching regular season college basketball or anything relating to the NBA. However, the NCAA’s March Madness makes me very, very happy and very, very interested in basketball. End of Disclaimer. Part of the reason I get so into March Madness is my mother, for sure. She’s always whipping out the brackets and checking the scores. The whole fam, extended family especially, cheers for the University of Kentucky Wildcats. Seeing as half of my family graduated from there, it’s a given. Plus, UK basketball is a religion. People down there bleed blue and white. Being on the West Coast, I don’t get a lot of chances to watch UK play. Also, since Oregon almost never makes it into the men’s tourney, I have to pick a different favorite team. Go Oregon women, for the record!

So the discovery came about when I got over to Indie Rocker’s house the other night and actually started bickering with Roche because he wouldn’t change the channel to the first overtime in the West Virginia-Wake Forest game from the DVD he was watching. Um, hello? First off, he claims that I can just watch ESPN Classic or something. Second of all, isn’t the whole point of DVDs the portability and pausability? Third, he’s a guy—shouldn’t he be the one demanding the game be put on? Either way, Indie Rocker came out and changed the channel to basketball, wisely ending the argument.

Marshall and I had a good laugh over that today since she’s as into college football and March Madness as I am. I don’t actually think Indie Rocker cares either way, but he was smart enough to take my side, particularly when the game went into second overtime and became very exciting.

Quote of the Day: “I'm staring down the Eppley gate./Two more days before the plane arrives and you'll be standing here with your smile./I'm carving up the lobby seats./Pushing down the caffeine drinks./Checking the arrival screen for yours.” Southern Belles in London Sing, The Faint.

No comments: