Thursday, October 21, 2004

Drunken Lullabies

Flogging Molly last night kicked some serious ass. We had such a good time. My mom actually managed to get us three tickets when they released some extras yesterday morning, so Speedy, Joy and I went to the show. We got there right as the second band was wrapping up, so it was perfect timing.

Beforehand, we stopped in at Ringlers to get a beer and made friends with the bartender, because he was so entertained by the three of us arguing over TV shows and yelling about Hobbits. Yeah, so I was gushing about “Lost” again. I do that from time to time. Speedy confessed to having an affinity for “Desperate Housewives”, so I win. Either way, we drank our beers and headed upstairs for the show itself. We had a blast. We went straight up to the balcony and watched the end of the second band while making friends all around us. We drained our beers and then ran downstairs once Flogging Molly came onstage. Speedy threaded her way through the crowd and got up close to the barrier on the 21-and-over side of the dance floor. Once the band kicked off, we didn’t stop dancing once. It was awesome. All we did was jump up and down, pretend we knew how to Irish dance and then scream and clap. I love Flogging Molly for the simple reason that they make everyone was to dance and have fun. There’s no moshing, there’s no ass-kicking and there’s tons of really great energy. We made friends again with the guys around us and I kept apologizing to the poor girl behind me when I stepped on her foot. She wasn’t getting as crazy as we were. Either way, we partied hard, danced our asses off and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Speedy got a kickass tshirt that I totally covet.

After the show we went back down to Ringlers because we were way too hyper to just go home. We sat down and ordered a beer from our old friend the bartender and made friends with the other bartender. Sitting at the bar has its perks, since we could make fun of the other patrons, like the PDA afflicted couple sitting directly across from us. We kept begging the bartender to turn the soda gun on them, but he was too nice. He was also nice enough to buy all of our beer after the first round, so we really love him. We got into an ice fight after too long since both bartenders were standing by the ice bin and started flinging it at us. We had to fight back and maybe I might have missed and hit the PDA couple by “accident.” OK, I didn’t, but that would have been awesome.

Some friends from high school showed up, so we got to hang with them for a little while before our energy levels simultaneously flatlined and we had to get back to my place to crash. Speedy slept in the pool house after we crashed and she might still be in my bed, which is where she decided to go after I got up and got ready for work. Not that I’m jealous or anything. Gah.

Quote of the Day: “Must it take a life for hateful eyes/To glisten once again/Cause we find ourselves in the same old mess/Singin' drunken lullabies.” Drunken Lullabies, Flogging Molly.

No comments: