Monday, August 16, 2004

The Bite and The Olympics

Death Cab for Cutie on Friday night at the Bite of Oregon, plus gallivanting all over the city of Portland. Yay! The show itself was great, followed by a hilarious performance by They Might be Giants, which didn't suck at all. After that, the assembled crew decided to raid Bridgeport Brewing for food and then head over to Montage, since we clearly weren't tired and drunk enough at that point. Good thing our buddy Fuzzy decided to DD and make sure we didn't die. Love him.

Saturday was spent freezing my arse off in the ocean and then discovering that the fin on my rented board was completely loose, thus confirming that I really am a better surfer than that, so I feel vindicated. Plus, I got a free rental out of the deal.

Saturday night and the better part of Sunday was spent watching the Olympics, since I am completely obsessed. I love watching swimming, rowing, beach volleyball, and men's gymnastics. Women's gymnastics I think get too much attention and I was actually glad that the obnoxious men's basketball team got their asses handed to them by Puerto Rico yesterday. Does that make me unAmerican?

My Ian Thorpe obsession reappeared after a 3 3/4 year dormancy when I saw him stroll across the pool deck on Saturday night. That boy is gorgeous. I can't say that I feel the same for Michael Phelps. I think he's a swimming prodigy, but I'll be more interested in watching him in four years when he grows up a little bit more. He's still just a kid. Watching Ian Thorpe four years later has made him that much more impressive (not to mention smoldering hot to look at. Yum.)

My sister has officially stopped mocking me for having a weakness for swimmers. Told her so.

Quote of the Day: "You take your car to work/I'll take my board/And when you run out of fuel I'm still afloat/My buddies and their honies all come along/They seem invincible as they surf along/The sea is rollin' like a thousand pound keg/We're goin' surfin', we're goin' surfin!" Surf Wax America, Weezer

No comments: