Saturday, August 09, 2008

I don't get it.

So, I don't have anything against Dara Torres. I think she's awesome, and I always have. However, I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed with her story.

Clearly, she had an uphill battle to get back into shape. However, the key part of that last sentence is the word "back." The woman is a five time Olympian with four gold medals. It isn't exactly a miracle that she's an Olympic-level swimmer. It's not her first rodeo, and swimming is a low-impact sport, even at her level.

I understand that the US has some insane obsession with age, and the concept of a 41 year old mother swimming at the Olympic level is "awe-inspiring."

I don't know--I just don't get it. She's not some random housewife from the Midwest who suddenly turned 40 and decided to become an Olympic swimmer. She already was and is an Olympian.

It feels a little bit like I'm splitting hairs, but I'm still a little unclear on why a former Olympian getting back into shape and back in the pool is the biggest story of the Games.

Quote of the Day: "The difference is... I'm in the mood to kick a little ass." Kate (Moira Kelly), The Cutting Edge.

No comments: