Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Things Have Changed...

It's an interesting time around the house these days, as poor Indie Rocker is going through some serious stress about starting a major job search. He is clearly unhappy at his current gig, and has been for long enough that he's starting to act like I did when I wanted to leave the Hill. It's a little bit funny that our roles have reversed almost exactly, but it's never easy when someone you care about is truly miserable at work.

At the same time, it's a little frustrating because there really isn't much I can do about it either, aside from just trying to get his mind off things. It's not like I can suggest jobs--I know next to nothing about his field and opportunities therein.

More than anything, I just wish that the job market weren't so depressed right now, but I suppose that it really doesn't matter all that much. There's never a "good" time to look for a new job and he has tremendously useful and translatable skills, so there's that. Either way, keep all of your fingers crossed that this job search goes quickly and well so that we can both see the light at the end of the tunnel.

More than anything, he needs to work someplace where the people in charge of systems don't design their protocols to resemble a spirited game of Calvinball, and where his coworkers actually bother to show up and do their jobs more often than not. Strangely, I don't think that's really too much to ask.

Quote of the Day: "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston), Office Space.

No comments: