Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007 Resolutions Recap

Since I finally have a few days to myself, I decided that I wanted to review last year's goals and see how they actually panned out for me. As I look at the list, I want to cut myself some slack, but the reality of the situation is that I need to look critically. Let's see how I did:

1. Take more time for myself. Huh. Well, I didn't really do this. I'd like to think that I did, but the truth is that I managed to have less free time and get even less time to myself than I have had in recent memory, aka the last four years of my life. In a sense, however, I am OK with that. Grad school ate up great stretches of time, but I keep telling myself that it's going to be possibly the best decision I have ever made.

2. Make more decisions by myself and fewer by committee. Actually, I definitely did this. This resolution was made due to the sheer amount of consultations I initiated with my friends and family regarding my relationship. I feel like, at the end of 2007, that I'm doing less consulting and more reporting. Additionally, I asked advice of a number of people regarding grad school, but ultimately made the decision where to go and how to do it on my own.

3. Seek out and do activities that I enjoy, rather than what I think I should be doing. Clearly, I can see where I was going with this, and I'm trying to decide if I've really stayed true to the spirit of the resolution. On the one hand, I feel like I said "no" more often this year and felt less guilty about it, but I don't think that I did more of what I wanted at the expense of what I thought I should have been doing. This one might require a little more analysis, but on the surface, I'm not convinced that I did this.

4. Sock away a bunch of money in my savings account. Yeah, this is a great example of the best intentions and total lack of followthrough. Oh well.

5. Cultivate a more professional wardrobe. I took some steps in the right direction for this. I have some really terrific shoes to wear, mostly thanks to Indie Rocker, and I've vowed to spend more money on clothes, since I tend to neglect to buy stuff for myself until I have literally worn the ones I have out. I also need to accept when articles of clothing I do own are past their prime. Perhaps another project would be to haul Chitown over here for another closet-weeding, since he is brutally honest and I kind of need that.

In summary, I think I had really good intentions for 2007, but perhaps tried to apply them in the wrong direction. I think I am going to cut myself some slack for embarking on totally different, but no less important goals, like moving in with Indie Rocker, applying for, getting into, and starting grad school, and adopting Molly.

Quote of the Day: "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent in doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw.

No comments: