Sunday, January 21, 2007

Whirlwind memories

It was an interesting week and weekend around here. Last week, my great-uncle passed away. He was 85. On the bright side, he did live an awfully full life and had been deteriorating for some time, so it wasn't a huge shock. Unfortunately, he was far more of a grandfather than I'd had on that side of the family, so it was a little bit tough to lose him. His funeral was yesterday.

He was a World War II vet, so there was an honor guard at the graveside service. Now, I'm very liberal and have a few ideas about military service; namely, that is isn't for me. That said, an honor guard at a funeral for a veteran is a very interesting and a very moving experience. The two soldiers who handled the flag did so with total seriousness and precision. There was a very talented bugler who played "Taps," which didn't leave many dry eyes. Also, once the flag ceremony was done, the soldiers presented the flag to my great-aunt and thanked her for my great-uncle's service to the nation and how he had been a great patriot. Again, it was really moving and left most of us pretty emotional.

After that, we went back to my great-aunt's house and ate before heading over to the church for the memorial service. It was OK, but I would have been fine just going to the graveside. It was good to see my family, and to be there for my great-aunt. I think she was pretty happy to see us. Speedy and I drove back together and were exhausted by the time we got back.

Last night's dinner was at Paley's Place, which was funny because Indie Rocker and I have spent quite a bit of money there, but never ate since we give gift certificates as wedding presents for our friends. It was really cool to finally check it out and realize that we give pretty awesome gifts. Hee hee. Either way, after quite a few bottles of wine and lots of passed food, we were all stuffed to the gills with food and good cheer, which more than made up for the depressing morning. And long drives. Even cooler was my aunt and uncle getting to meet Indie Rocker and liking him.

It's off to a regular week, so hopefully that's a good thing.

Quote of the Day: "Every year in June George A. goes to a reunion/Of the men that he served with and their wives and kids and grandkids/My Great Uncle used to take me and I'd watch them recollect/about some things I couldn't comprehend." Sands of Iwo Jima, Drive-by Truckers.

No comments: