Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fell in love with a song.

I do this every so often—fall in love with a song. It’s a lot of fun, particularly since I listen to lyrics way, way too closely for my own good and frequently apply them to myself using bizarre twists of logic (i.e. “Of course that song about long-distance trucking totally applies to my life because I share the road with truckers all the time and…” You can see where this is going. Absurd, I know.) and somewhat dubious identification. Sometimes, however, it isn’t a stretch at all and a song actually, appropriately applies to a given situation. My last notable breakup coincided with the release of Dido’s last album, and the song “Stoned” eerily described my relationship, in such an exact parallel that it was a little bit scary.

I borrowed the new Death Cab album from Indie Rocker and have listened to “You Will be Loved” approximately 17 times now. Since Sunday. I’m so glad that this album came out long after I could truly, appropriately obsess about this song. But Ben Gibbard, as usual, is a genius, and has hit the nail straight on the head:

You may feel alone when you're falling asleep
And everytime tears float down your cheeks
But I know your heart belongs to someone you've yet to meet
Someday you will be loved

You'll be loved you'll be loved
Like you never have known
The memories of me
Will seem more like bad dreams
Just a series of blurs
Like I never occurred
Someday you will be loved

That’s the quote of the day. It’s been stuck there all day as well. He’s right, too. Once something works, the bad ones slip away like bad dreams.

No comments: