Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Idol Worship

I added a new link today under the “Useful Stuff.” It’s a link to the Alex Lowe Charitable Foundation. Alex Lowe was an amazing climber who died in an avalanche on Shishapangma in 1999. Dave Bridges, a photographer/climber, died in the same avy.

For a time, I idolized Alex Lowe. He was this amazing climber who seemed to be a supremely gifted athlete, but also an amazing human being. I would devour articles about him—not in a stalkerish way, but just reverently. He was someone who fascinated me.

Anyway, after he died, I put up this teensy webpage on my college server about him and got an email from his nephew, who shares his name. I about fell off my chair when I got it. At the time, I didn’t write back because I didn’t know what to say. It was an odd experience, for sure.

Either way, check it out. Let them know what you think. It isn’t the most professional looking website, but I like it. The pictures are good and the information is interesting. It doesn’t even scratch the surface of what I imagine Alex was really like, but it’s a fitting tribute to someone who was truly larger than life.

Quote of the Day: “If I die tomorrow, it would be useless to have been afraid today." Mark Helprin, A Soldier of the Great War.

No comments: