Wednesday, September 01, 2004

"You look like a wet beaver."

There are so many things about Garden State that I could say, but most of them have been said already. Well, the good things, at least. Zach Braff is my new hero for capturing the way most of my friends feel in a non-cheesy, non-abrasive, and not hipper-than-thou way. This movie was incredible just because it showed so many interesting variations on what it’s like to come home.

“You know that point in your life when you realize the house you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? That idea of home is gone. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place.”

Having moved as much as I did as a child, it’s been weird to have my parents living in the same house for 12 years. My sister and I have gotten really territorial about it, since that structure seems to feel like home. I think, as opposed to what the movie says, that sometimes a structure can feel like home. On the other hand, I do still understand where he’s coming from, since I remember the first time I told my mom that I was going home and meant back to college and I still remember the look on her face—the look where she realized that something had changed forever.

Obviously for someone who grew up in the same house and then didn’t come back for almost a decade, no, the house isn’t going to feel like home.

Maybe the problem is that I haven’t gone far enough away yet.

“I know it hurts. But it's life, and it's real. And sometimes it fucking hurts, but it's life, and it's pretty much all we got.”

Who knew that stuff we all say we would hear coming out of Natalie Portman’s mouth in a movie? Random.

Either way, go check out the movie. If you love it, that rocks. If you hate it, then don’t listen to my movie recommendations anymore. And while you’re at it, Zach Braff’s blog is over on the sidebar, so click on it and read the randomness that is his life. Must be nice!

Quote of the Day: “Don't tease me about my hobbies. I don't tease you about being an asshole.” Mark (Peter Sarsgaard), Garden State

No comments: