Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Strange fashion statements.

I was standing at my bus stop today (yes, I take mass transit as there is no parking where I work) and one of my fellow losers walks up in yet another one of his Utilikilts. For those of you who are not familiar with this unique and fairly disturbing fashion statement, Utilikilts are the brainchild of a Seattle-based company (not kidding--go check it out here) and are made of everything from denim to canvas and are designed, as far as I can tell, to be skirts for men. Actually, I lied. They are MUGs, which stands for Men's Unbifurcated Garments. The entire website is full of dudes in skirts made from everything from camo to leather. Now, I am not opposed to this idea in theory, but seeing it in practice is a little weird. I understand that this guy perhaps doesn't like pants and all, but as far as I can tell, he's not Scottish and thus doesn't really have a reason to be wearing skirts Every. Single. Day. I'm not sure the guy actually owns pants. I apologize to the non-Scottish and skirt loving faction of men out there, except the hippies. I've seen enough unwashed men (and women, for that matter) in tie-dyed wrap skirts to last the rest of my life, TYVM.

Perhaps I am being judgmental, which is entirely possible, but then again I still think it's weird. It's also entirely possible that I am buying into American society's rigid definition of female and male fashion roles as well as some other form of oppressive thought, but I'd rather think that it's as simple as the fact that I wish this guy would buy a pair of jeans and get it over with. His calves are great and all, but I really don't need to be faced with The Skirt every other day at the bus stop. I'm lucky my eyes are open at that point and I don't need to be faced with more PNW blindingly white skin than absolutely necessary. Ecch...this started as a perfectly normal tangent and seems to have morphed into something a little weird, so I'm going to let it go.

Quote of the day: "I've given up my vices, I'm going back, back to school. Eviction or not, this week's been so hot, I know if I have you I know I'll be cool." Mimi, RENT.

No comments: