Friday, August 11, 2006

Calming influence

I found out today that it is in fact, my last day and that I get three days off with pay next week. Coupled with my vacay payout, I'll get a full paycheck in two weeks as if I didn't take any time off at all. I love it. Clearly, doing the right thing in this case turned out to be a great, great idea.

I'm definitely leaving my job bittersweetly. It was a good opportunity that didn't pan out quite the way that I'd wanted it to, but I met a lot of good people and made decent money doing it. Nothing is ever perfect, but I don't want to leave thinking that I wasted several years of my life. If nothing else, I know exactly what I don't want to do with my life and that helps.

I'm definitely basking in the attention of leaving and the thrill of something new just on the horizon. It's so fascinating to see peoples' reactions, particularly since they've run the gamut from thinly veiled vitriol to envy to genuine enthusiasm and curiousity. Obviously, it's easy to see which responses I prefer.

There are people I am going to make an effort to keep in touch with, so that should be a good thing. I'm definitely looking forward to pressing on to the next phase. I think it's going to be a very, very good thing.

And I'll be damned if I don't get in a bunch of surfing next week!!

Quote of the Day: "Through that gray windowpane/It always looked like rain/But there's sunshine outside I can tell/So open up that door, I've leavin'/An' I won't be back no more/I'm checkin' out of the heartbreak hotel." Checkin' Out, Shel Silverstein (as performed by Meryl Streep in Postcards from the Edge.

No comments: