Sunday, May 09, 2004

Happy Mother's Day

Beautiful moments happen accidentally and that's the best part about them. Stumbling across a rainbow arcing through black clouds or a field of flaming red clover awakens the senses. Even something simple like the smell of fir trees in the springtime high up on the mountain as you ski past them reminds us of beauty and nature.

Yesterday was spent cleaning up a beautiful beach after playing cup and sticks, eating a picnic lunch and drinking homemade kahlua. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing and I remembered why it is that I can't stay in the city for a whole weekend. It's an interesting phenomenon and I place the blame squarely on the beautiful state that I live in. I look out my window and there's so much out there to see, smell and immerse oneself in.

While I was paddling out yesterday, I looked around at my fellow surfers. It was the largest group of my friends I've ever surfed with and it was amazing to look around and watch the smiles reflect on everyone's faces. One girl summed it by asking, "Why is something I'm so bad at so much fun?" Every time I came up on the beach, I would hand off a board to someone else and they would splash into the water, eager for the water to wash over them and feel the board under their feet. Everything seemed clearer to see, the food tasted better after getting out of the water and the sand felt smoother. Tearing ourselves away was next to impossible.

Today I went on a walk with Mom and we trucked all over my hometown. She's training for a walking relay and is trying to get in shape. I think it's awesome, so I went with her. It was a great walk, a great chance to chat and beautiful scenery to enjoy. It was refreshing to get a chance to wander through the outdoors with my Mom, since I don't get to do that as often as I'd like.

The best part was that it was sunny all weekend. The coast was sun-drenched, if a bit windy. There was definitely a storm coming in, but it politely waited for us to finish surfing before coming in. Today it's starting to get dark and I'm heading downstairs to watch a movie.

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day and got to talk to their moms for a while.

Quote of the Day: "Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." The Crow

No comments: