Thursday, October 01, 2009

Dashboard Confessional.

While I absolutely detest the band for whom this post is named, it seemed apropos. I am feeling a bit whiny and emo this week. It's been a long, weird, and dramatic week.

First, I've been dealing with the deep embarrassment of getting drunk at the wedding I went to last weekend. I had told myself several times over that I wasn't going to overdo it, drank plenty of water and ate tons of food, and still managed to get completely obliterated.

I am far, far too old for this shit. I don't think I'm an alcoholic or anything, but I do think I run into control issues in certain scenarios, and I need to deal with that ASAP. I'm going to be around a bunch of drinking this weekend, and it's the perfect opportunity to start taking a huge step back and thinking very carefully about how much I imbibe. I tend to get carried away having fun, lose track of how many drinks I've already had, and shortly thereafter lose the ability to monitor myself. It sucks on a number of levels, and it's totally preventable. So I'm going to start preventing it. I mean, this isn't rocket science here.

Second, the Munchkin has been sick all week, which has been a serious strain on both my and Indie Rocker's sleep schedules and collective patience. We had to get up every three hours to let her out the other night, give her a bath, and clean half of the house. I think we've both finally come to terms with the fact that our dog has a seriously sensitive stomach and that we just need to only feed her a severely limited diet. All the time, or we will suffer the consequences.

Lastly, Indie Rocker and I have had some tough conversations this week that have been painful, but have ultimately helped our relationship. I talked to my dad this week and he reminded me that even the most idyllic-looking relationships can have their own turmoil and that turmoil isn't necessarily a bad thing if both people understand why it exists and can communicate how to solve the problem.

I really do realize that the bulk of my and Indie Rocker's issues stem from miscommunication on both sides. As much as I would like to think I am the world's best communicator, I am not, actually, and could use work just like the next person. That's not always an easy thing to realize, but it's a really healthy thing to realize.

Quote of the Day: "God has a special providence for fools, drunks and the United States of America." Otto Von Bismarck.

No comments: